Job Title: DevOps Lead
Salary: To £65k
Our client is an award-winning financial technology company based in the heart of Bath, just a 5-minute walk from the train and bus stations. They are entering a period of sustained enhancements to the platform and the surrounding services that they provide, and as a result, our client need to increase our development capacity and expand our capabilities.
Determined to deliver technology that will keep them ahead of the competition there are opportunities for both experienced IT professionals and those willing to learn on their feet to helpmeet that challenge. If you like working in a highly collaborative environment geared towards frequent delivery of high value and quality business solutions, working for this client could be the next step
- Deliver sustainable value to our customers and colleagues in the possible time with the maximum benefit.
- Create a healthy work environment that supports team members to thrive and develop through continuously learning.
- Optimise cost-to-serve so that we can provide the best value platform in our industry.
- Embed common ways of working across teams and with our key partners to deliver business and technical agility.
- Ensure quality, security and compliance is built into everything we do making inspection redundant.
- Foster and optimise operational excellence in everything we do.
About the role
The DevOps Lead will head up an expanding DevOps function, as you develop our capability within. The successful candidate will be part of an Agile Release Train team building and deploying microservices to enhance our existing award-winning wealth platform. The role is a mixture of technical and managerial and will involve:
- Establishing and shaping a DevOps competency and recruiting/developing a small team of DevOps Engineers.
- Work from within a multi skilled Agile Team including developers and testers to support team solutions across software and infrastructure through to and including in production
- Provide support to introduce streamlined Continuous Deployment and Release on Demand to allow move away from traditional CAB practices
- Influencing and building relationships with colleagues and delivery partners.
- Establishing a culture of continuous improvement with the collaboration, mentoring, and coaching of less experienced staff.
- Constantly challenge existing practices and processes and suggest improvements. Developing, implementing, and sharing best practice.
- Introduce and support focus on reducing Lead Time and MTTR
- Encourage the ‘relentless improvement’ approach to automate everything
You will, from time to time, be required to undertake other activities that fall within your capabilities as directed by management.
The successful candidate will take pride in delivery, continuous improvement, and capability development.
Their background will include:
- Experience designing and embedding DevOps processes into a Company, both technically and culturally
- Experienced in Infrastructure as Code using Terraform and Azure CLI
- Experience of using container and orchestration services, using Kubernetes and helm charts
- Experienced in migrations from classic data centres to Cloud (Microsoft Azure)
- Expertise in Microsoft Azure and its relevant build, deployment, networking and security technologies in cloud and hybrid environments
- Experienced in deploying Highly Available applications in the Cloud (Microsoft Azure)
- Experience designing and supporting complex multi-tier, services based, production systems at scale
- A good understanding of applications and infrastructure monitoring, logging and ability to build auto-scaling infrastructure, ideally in DataDog.
- The ability to build and maintain CI/CD pipelines and underlying infrastructure for successful operation and utilisation
- A good understanding of GIT source control
- Experience of test-driven development and implementing automated test solutions and pipelines
- Experience of managing and deploying databases, such as MS SQL, MongoDb, and Postgres
- Experience of managing, motivating, coaching, and developing a team
- Experience using Azure DevOps, or similar ALM tool
- Experience of Windows Servers and Linux administration
- Degree or equivalent qualification – preferably maths, science, computer science or similar
- Proven experience working within an agile environment, ideally SAFe
- Experienced in the design and delivery of enterprise-level Highly Available solutions
- Microsoft Azure Platform as a Service products:
- Azure Kubernetes Services (AKS)
- Image management software such as Artifactory/ProGet
- App Services
- Security Services (Key Vaults/AAD)
- Blob storage
- Confluent Kafka